Provide Substance Abuse counseling and treatment services to high risk HIV/AIDS specific Clients. Should be familiar with treating HIV-infected, substance abusing clients in an outpatient medical facility; such as outpatient clinic, health center, or public health agency. Must be familiar with a culture of addiction, a culture of poverty, a gay culture, and even a recovery culture. Provider must be comfortable with assessing and exploring clients’ attitudes and beliefs regarding changing risk behaviors such as substance abuse and unsafe sex. Perform SBIRT and other diagnostic measurements formulating course of Substance Abuse/Mental Health treatment and development of treatment plan based on client’s Stage of Readiness. Perform individual and group counseling. Discuss cases with physician and other health professionals to prepare comprehensive patient care plan. Submit relapse prevention treatment plan and goals of individual clients for periodic review and evaluation. May refer clients for psychotropic medication evaluations and/or to specialized health resources. Drug and alcohol counselors must continue to develop their skills in assessing and establishing appropriate treatment plans that support the “whole” person.
• Complete a bio-psycho-social assessment including SBIRT. • Establishes and develop treatment plan which include goals and objectives. • Document progress or lack of progress toward achievement of established goals. • Act as a liaison between client and other specialty services. • Effectively identifies, evaluates, and addresses disease prevention and health promotion issues of the population in the practice while administering quality patient care. • Facilitate weekly relapse prevention group. • Works in an independent and interdependent relationship with members of the mental staff, which allows for consultation, collaboration, or referral. • Responsible for treatment of acute, chronic, and long-term substance abuse/Mental Health issues. • Educates clients and/or families about the cycle of addiction, harm reduction, and relapse prevention, medical issues, and use of prescribed medical treatments and/or medications. • Maintains legible, accurate, and confidential records. Documents all evaluations, procedures, treatment, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with HRSA requirements and guidelines. • Facilitates quality continuum of care utilizing Evidence and/or Best Practices. • Analyzes new knowledge gained from conferences, workshops, professional literature, or “hands-on training” and assimilates this knowledge into clinical practice.
Other Duties and Responsibilities: • Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: • High School or GED equivalent
EXPERIENCE: • 3 years of experience working in outpatient setting. • Preferred experience in working with marginalized populations including LGBTQ, people of color, and HIVpositive patients. • Familiar with state and local alcohol/drug mental health issues and regulations.
SPECIALREQUIREMENTS: • Oral Communication Skills • Written Communication Skills • Time Management • Must be knowledgeable in identifying patterns common to Substance Abusers. • Thorough comprehension of Twelve Step Facilitation Therapy • Knowledge and ability to use counseling techniques to educate, elicit feelings, facilitate self-understanding, and motivate the client. • Ability to work effectively with a diverse community. • Must relate well to all cultural and ethnic groups in the community.
EDUCATION: • Associate degree preferred
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Occasional stooping. Frequent standing. Constant walking, sitting, climbing, reaching high/low levels, finger movement, feeling, speaking clearly, hearing conversationally, and seeing far and near.
• The ability to perform highly detailed work with sustained attention and care while providing/obtaining information on numerous inquiries is paramount to success in this position.
• The mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Frequent variety of unrelated tasks. Constant calculating, interrupted work, a variety of interrelated tasks, and use of sustained concentration, reasoning, judgment, resourcefulness, analytical ability, and ingenuity
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Occasionally required to work in confined space.
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a premier mission-driven university dedicated to transforming the lives of underserved communities through health professions education, biomedical research and compassionate patient care. Since incorporating in 1966 out of the ashes of the Watts rebellion, we’ve been serving South Los Angeles and beyond by working to eliminate health disparities and providing unique, quality education and training opportunities. CDU has produced thousands of diverse health care leaders ready to provide care in today’s workforce with excellence and compassion.
Excellent health and wellness for all persons, peoples and communities, in a world without health disparities.
The University develops a diverse group of health professional leaders who seek social justice, promote wellness, provide care with excellence and compassion, and are uniquely qualified to transform the health of underserved populations through outstanding education, research, and clinical services in the context of community engagement.
Excellence Accountability Compassion Diversity Integrity
Legacy Service Community Innovation Leadership
BACK TO TOP
AMHCA Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else AMHCA Membership has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at AMHCA Career Center.